Thursday, October 17, 2013

Riverside Glass Works: Old Pattern Glass vs. New Pattern Glass

It's strange the memories that come to you and the odd places you are when they arrive. This memory came to me while walking through a department store with my mother. I noticed a display of pretty pressed pattern glass in vibrant colors and I was instantly brought back to my younger years when we used, displayed and loved Early American Pattern Glass.
New pattern glass made in China.




Early American Pattern Glass (EAPG) was a treasure in my family and it was a big part of my childhood. Many weekends were spent going to antique show, antique shops and flea markets to add to the collections. My mother, my grandmother and both of my aunts loved Early American Pattern Glass. It seemed to me my grandmother knew everything about these beautiful patterns. I would follow her around and ask her the name of each pattern as she picked it up and examined it for chips and cracks. I always enjoyed the holidays when these beautiful pieces of pattern glass would be set upon the table and used. One glass company produced some of my families favorite patterns, Riverside Glass Works.

Why Buy New …….When You Can Still Own America’s Finest Glass


Riverside Glass Works started glass production on January 26, 1880 in Wellsburg, West Virginia.  The President of the company was Charles Brady who had previously worked at the Hobbs, Brockunier  Glass Company and the factory manager was John Dornan who had previously worked at the Buckeye Glass Works in Martins Ferry, Ohio.  By August, 1880 the company was in full production.  The first known patterns produced by Riverside were Dew Drop, Waffle with Points and Alpha Swirl.  They also produced kerosene lamps, beer mugs, and bitter bottles.  On September 16, 1886, fire totally destroyed the Riverside Glass Works but it was quickly rebuilt and reopened in early 1887. Business continued to boom and the company came out with many new patterns.  In January 1907, trade journals were still reporting that Riverside was working at full capacity, expanding its business and having continued success.  But 1907 was the final year of production for Riverside when it went into bankruptcy.  The equipment and molds were sold or disbursed to other glass companies.  Riverside Glass Works ended its 27 years of glass production that year and never reopen.

Here are some of my favorite patterns produced by Riverside.

 

Pattern: Number 408, 1893                        Pattern: Number 420, 1894
Chrysanthemum or Double Daisy           Box-In-Box
EAPG Butter Dish, Ruby Stained, Box in Box
Butter Dish
EAPG Syrup Pitcher, Chrysanthemum, Double Daisy
Syrup Pitcher
EAPG Toothpick Holder, Ruby Stained, Box in Box
Toothpick Holder

Pattern Number 436, 1895                                                                          Pattern: Kanawha, 1907
Brilliant
EAPG Jelly Compote, Amber Stained, Brillant
Jelly Compote
EAPG Syrup Pitcher, Clear, Kanawha
Syrup Pitcher
EAPG Toothpick, Clear, Brilliant
Toothpick Holder
  










                         
Pattern:  Petticoat or                          Pattern: Esther, 1896
             National, 1899














Pattern:  Number 462,  1896                                                                     Pattern: Rosetta or    
              X-Ray                                                                                                    Circular Saw, 1905   
EAPG Cruet, Green X-Ray
Cruet
EAPG Toothpick, X-Ray
Toothpick Holder 
EAPG Syrup Pitcher, Rosetta, Circular Saw
Syrup Pitcher
 













Pattern:   Seedpod or Olympia, 1898
EAPG Celery, Seedpod, Olympia
Celery
EAPG Sugar Bowl, Seedpod, Olympia
Sugar Bowl
EAPG Salt Shaker, Seedpod, Olympia
Salt Shaker

Pattern:   Number 493, 1899
              The Empress
                                                                                    
Pattern:   Duchess, 1900                                                     

  

My Absolute Favorite Pattern.


Pattern: Bead and Scroll
EAPG Creamer, Bead and Scroll
Creamer
EAPG Spoon Holder, Bead and Scroll
Spoon Holder





Today Riverside glass is prized for its high quality glass, beautiful colors, and delightful patterns.


 
 
If you like articles like these, please let me know.
I'd love to hear what you think. So please leave a comments. 

3 comments:

  1. Extremely well written, very informative, thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm so happy to find this wonderful article! I currently have a small ( approx. 3 1/2 x 2" ) Emerald green trinket box with the top etched with "Souvenir of Cadillac Mich" I'm in the Detroit area of MI. I've been looking for awhile now with no luck on ID for this sweet little box, but the closet I've come is in thinking it's by Riverside and possibly in the "Empress" pattern. Would you know if they ever produced a Whimsy/trinket box in this pattern?
    Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm so happy to find this wonderful article! I currently have a small ( approx. 3 1/2 x 2" ) Emerald green trinket box with the top etched with "Souvenir of Cadillac Mich" I'm in the Detroit area of MI. I've been looking for awhile now with no luck on ID for this sweet little box, but the closet I've come is in thinking it's by Riverside and possibly in the "Empress" pattern. Would you know if they ever produced a Whimsy/trinket box in this pattern?
    Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips