Monday, August 6, 2018

The Buddy Purrkins Story: How I got my Alias





My name is Buddy Purrkins but I'm also known as Mega Mitts because I'm a polydactyl cat. Normal cats have a total of 18 toes, with five toes on each forepaw, and four toes on each hind paw, but I have an two extra toes on each paw.  That makes eight extra toes! True polydactyl is a congenital abnormality, genetically inherited as an autosomal dominant trait of the ZRS gene.  Ernest Hemingway first six-toes cat named Snowball was given to him by a ship's captain.  Sailors considered polydactyl cats good luck and we were especially useful in keeping the ship's rodent population under control because we have extraordinary climbing and hunting abilities. Snowball's fifty descendants live in Hemingway's former home in Key West, Florida.  Hemingway loved his polydactyl cats and today we are sometimes referred to as Hemingway cats.  So you see, I am truly awesome.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips